Re: NetBSD on SGI Indigo w/R3000

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 09:56:20PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Thank you very much. I now tried this kernel, but the behavior sadly didn't
> change with it:

Ah, bummer.

> How did you manage to get it compiled? Because I now also tried to get a
> kernel compiled myself: I tried with both NetBSD 6.1.5 and 7.1 (and
> respective `srcsys.tgz`) on an O2 - the fastest SGI machine I have that is
> supported by NetBSD - but I never succeed. It always fails early on with the
> following error:

I've always cross-built sgimips from an x86 machine. You can
build a cross-compiling toolchain really easily with build.sh.
The invocation is something like this in the top-level source
directory:
  ./build.sh -m sgimips -E tools

Then you'll wind up with tools under obj/, like
  obj/tooldir.NetBSD-7.1_STABLE-amd64/bin/...

nbconfig and nbmake-sgimips should be all you need from there to
build the kernel.

(I think you can also just pass the right arguments to build.sh to
build tools and the kernel in one shot, but I haven't done that.)

> Even when deactivating all "compat" options I still get this error. Say can
> you build an Indigo R3k (IP12) kernel with the attached config file? It's
> stripped down to the assumed minimum, as the machine runs diskless I
> deactivated support for all on-disk file systems and devices I didn't see in
> the dmesg of your 1.6T kernel. Maybe the 2.5 MB is still too big, although
> the header of the config says it should be sufficient to be smaller than 3.5
> MB.

I don't think that config will yield a kernel any smaller than
what I built.

Your best bet is probably to try building a kernel from NetBSD 3.
That looks to be about the last time I fiddled with IP12 and it
includes fixes that make the ethernet actually work reasonably.

If you'd like, I can try giving that a go.

Steve