Re: FTP stalls on tl0 on Challenge S

On Mar 26, 2010, at 3:21 PM, George Harvey wrote:

> Good call, the bad checksum count does increment. Wireshark says the IP
> and TCP checksums are good so that tends to confirm the problem's in
> the SGI.

Hi George,

Sounds like we may be messing up the receive DMA. Could you try the attached
patch (against src/sys/dev/pci/if_tl.c)? I recall correctly, I eventually
discovered that this nic's pci<->gio bus bridge can't DMA across page
boundaries. I fixed the TX side, but for some reason neglected RX. I don't
recall if I just forgot to handle the RX case and it worked well enough, or if
I believed it wasn't necessary for some reason.

Anyway, if that doesn't work, I'd suspect that if_tl's bus_dma usage isn't
quite correct, but I think it has been used by others in SGI O2s without
trouble.

Let me know if you'd like me to build a kernel. I don't have the toolchain set
up, but that'd be easy to do.

Steve