R4000 Indy login problems

Hi,

with all the recent kernels I have a strange problem with getty and/or login.

My user shell is not launched (but there is no core dump), and the getty
restarts. In this example I'm logging in with the correct password:

---8<---
login: root
password:
Mar 7 11:22:23 indy login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON console

NetBSD/sgimips (indy.owl.de) (console)

login:
---8<---

The authog receives an entry about a root-login, but getty just restarts...

When using a wrong password, it looks like this:
---8<---
login: root
password:
Login incorrect or refused on this terminal.
---8<---

Similar problem when logging in via ssh from a different system:

---8<---
frank@compaq ssh indy
Password:
Connection to indy closed by remote host.
Connection to indy closed.
---8<---

The password is accepted, but I'm immediately losing connection.
I also tried it with a normal user and a different shell (tcsh instead of
sh). No difference.

Maybe another side effect of the R4000 bugs? But it worked with older
kernels.

Anybody observed the same? How to debug that? In getty or login?

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/