Re: SoC projects for NetBSD/sgimips

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:20:50PM +1100, Max Matveev wrote:
>  martin>   http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/soc-projects.html#sgimipsR10k
> I thought OpenBSD folks have had this working, at least for O2s.

We have it working too (one of my O2s runs fine with a R10k CPU), this is
about optimization - and I'm unsure about the project overall (don't know
enough details about the CPUs in question). Somebody else explained it on
this list some time ago, but I haven't dug for the reference yet.

>  martin>   http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/soc-projects.html#sgibootloader
> Are you talking about using prom's graphical boot or some netbsd
> special boot?

Both - the idea is to insert the CD and be able to boot from it just with
a few mouse clicks, no keyboard input needed untill the console login prompt
(or sysinst) appears. There is prior art, and it is  pretty easy to do.
Sounds like an ideal SoC project to me if you happen to have the hardware
(or are willing to find some cheap on ebay). Bonus next step (but I'm not
sure that is possible at all): find a way to display a custom splash
screen image [loaded from the CD] from the NetBSD bootloader.

Martin