Subject: Re: O2 R5000 & NetBSD (Current)
To: Ole Andre Rodlie <olear@slackforge.net>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/16/2007 20:47:47

Hello,

On Sep 16, 2007, at 20:12, Ole Andre Rodlie wrote:

>>> After the installation I selected "reboot computer", but there
>>> everything froze. Even the power button didn't work (had to
>>> remove the
>>> power cord).
>>
>> That happens when we reprogram the video backend to use something
>> resembling a linear framebuffer. I have no idea why it apparently
>> freaks out the firmware ( reboot and such are firmware calls ) or how
>> to get around it.
> After a reinstall the installer rebooted perfectly, strange.

Indeed.

>> No need to power cycle though - there's a reset
>> button hidden in a hole next to the power button.
>>
> Didn't know that, thanks :)

The O2 owner's manual is available as pdf from sgi.com

>> X11 won't be all that fast - we don't have sufficient docs about the
>> rendering engine ( I got some hints but no results so far ). It does
>> run in 24bit though, and with a shadow framebuffer it's kind of
>> bearable.
> Can't get X to work, seams like the driver is broken
> (http://olear.slackforge.net/o2/XFree86.0.log). Also plugged in a PCI
> Rage128 card, NetBSD & XFree can find it, but there are no available
> driver. Is it possible to compile and use the 'ati' driver from XFree
> on the O2?

No and no.
The driver isn't broken, XFree's loader for sgimips is.
You need to load wsfb's dependencies by hand, using something like this:
     Load        "fb"
     Load        "shadow"
in your XF86Config's "Module" section.
That should take care of the missing symbols.
You can find mine here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/sgimips/XF86Config.sgimips

There's one caveat though - gtk2 applications will dump core due to a
bug in Cairo - it can't cope with the O2's RGBA pixel format for some
reason, a bug report has been filed but there is no solution yet.
Other things like windowmaker, KDE etc. work fine.

have fun
Michael