Subject: Serial connection to SGI O2
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson@gmail.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/16/2007 19:34:26
Hello,

I have obtained an SGI O2 - the model number on the bottom is:
cmnb014anf195.  I don't know what series this is - R10000 or R12000,
and at present the machine seems set to boot into serial console mode,
so I can't run preliminary diagnostics on a monitor.  Does anyone know
what this is?  Google showed up a few ebay sales, but nothing with
useful information.

In order to progress, I need to understand the best way to access the
console?  I had a look at the serial port primer documentation - but
this seemed a bit alien to me.  In the past I have used RJ45 cables
(not twisted) between RJ45-DB9 / DB25 convertors for accessing Sun
machines, but this appeared not to work with the O2.  What's the best
thing to get hold of?  A normal DB9-DB25 null-modem cable?  Or will
this need to be rewired?

Furthermore, my current laptop doesn't seem to have a serial port (IBM
Thinkpad T41) - it has a parallel port.  Are there convertors? Or
USB-Serial devices?  What are the options?  Or will I have to run a
long(ish) cable from one of my servers which does have a serial port?

Alternatively, from the "ding-a-ling" noise when the machine has
booted into its firmware, is there a series of keystrokes and commands
that would get me onto VGA?  The machine has no OS installed, so won't
boot to anything.

Thanks in advance.

S.