Subject: Re: panic during boot indy R5000
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@aydogan.de>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/30/2007 10:16:13
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:41:37 +0100
"Zafer Aydogan" <zafer@aydogan.de> wrote:

> hello list,
>
> I recently powered on my old indy r5000, running 1.6ZC and wanted to
> update to current.
> The problem is, that I can't netboot into current, neither 3.1, 3.0,
> 2.0. But I can boot properly into 1.6:

[ snip ]

There are SCSI issues with the 2.x and 3.x kernels. On my R5000
Challenge S, I found that an old Seagate 1GB drive would work but any
other drive that I tried resulted in a boot failure due to SCSI errors.

The SCSI problem was fixed in -current around September / October last
year and I have successfully run a kernel built from the 9th November
snapshot on my box. A 4.0BETA kernel from early January (after the
re-branch) also booted OK.

I haven't tried a more recent -current kernel so I don't know if the
cache error indicates a new bug or not. AFAIK, older kernels (pre 2.0 ?)
didn't use the L2 cache so there is a possibility that a cache hardware
fault wouldn't have been detected in 1.6 but would show up in a more
recent kernel.

George