Subject: Re: Boot freeze on IP22
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/13/2006 13:21:08
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:13:21 -0500
"Stephen M. Rumble" <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Quoting Rodolphe De Saint Leger <rdesaintleger@gmail.com>:
>
> > The CPU Module is a R5000/180MHz, I've seen some year ago that there
> > was problems with R5k Indys, is it still right ?
>
> Someone else was recently having trouble on an R5k Challenge S. Could
> you kindly provide the cpu revision when you find the time? 'hinv' in
> the PROM should provide it. Additionally one of the NetBSD dmesg lines
> containing 'cpu0:' will have it.

I'm the one with the R5K Challenge S. I've encountered several problems
getting NetBSD installed (detailed in other threads) but I haven't seen
the sort of kernel hangs that Rodolphe reports. Just for the record, I'm
currently running a standard 3.1 userland with a recent-ish -current
kernel (4.99.3 from around a month ago). My R5K is a rev. 1.0 (0x2310).

On my box, the 3.1 kernel fails to boot because it gets stuck in the
SCSI probe. The SCSI problems have been fixed (message from Ben Harris
on this list on 24th Sept.) but you need a -current kernel to get them.
Although Rodolphe's symptoms are different, it might be worth trying
Ben's test kernel at:
<http://bjh21.me.uk/junk/netbsd-wd33c93-1.6.2.10>

George