Subject: Re: Building perl hangs on -current
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/04/2006 20:13:17
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:37:36 +0000
George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:28:01 +0000
> George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:33:26 -0500
> > "Stephen M. Rumble" <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>:
> > >
> [ snip ]
>
> > Tried a local build and got a seg fault after about 2hrs building,
> > no hang though. Since I had no problems on an O2 running 3.1, I
> > think I'll re-install the Challenge S with 3.1 userland and try the
> > local build again with that.
>
> I had a hunt in my disk collection and found a Seagate drive that
> would allow the 3.1 install kernel to boot on my Challenge S without
> locking up on the SCSI probe. Instead, it panics while creating mfs.
> The last lines on the console are included below. I've been trying
> various kernels on this machine and that's the first time I've seen an
> amap_wipeout. Now that I've found a disk that allows 3.1 to boot, I
> think I'll try attaching it to my O2, do the 3.1 install on that, and
> then try it back in the Challenge S.

[ snip ]

After several disk swaps, re-installs and Perl builds, I think I'm
finally getting somewhere. The combination that's currently working is
3.1 userland with a -current (4.99.3) kernel. I've successfully built
Perl 5.8.8 from pkgsrc, with pkgsrc NFS mounted over the G130 100Mb
Ethernet interface, and I'm currently building a number of other
packages that I need. Looks like it was the combination of a 4.0 BETA
userland (before the recent re-branch) and a -current kernel that was
causing the kernel hangs.

Regards,
George