Subject: Re: Boot freeze on IP22
To: Rodolphe De Saint Leger <rdesaintleger@gmail.com>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/28/2006 00:52:09
Quoting Rodolphe De Saint Leger <rdesaintleger@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install NetBSD-3.1 on my old Indy.
> Unfortunately, after the tftp download, the kernel hangs...
>
> Here is the hinv
> System: IP22
> Processor: 180Mhz R5000, with FPU
> Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
> Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
> Secondary cache size: 512 Kbytes
> Memory size: 128 Mbytes
> Graphics: GR3-XZ
> SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
> Audio: Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
>
> kernel 3.0.2 and 3.1 sometimes displays this (other display the
> display begins and the screen shutdowns)

Is the display within the SGI PROM box, or is it full screen? That is,
does the screen blank and print the kernel messages in green, or do
they show up in the blue-bordered box that you get the hinv output
from? Since you have a GR3 board, I'm wondering whether the grtwo
framebuffer driver is attaching. If so, I don't believe that it's ever
been tested on anything but an Indigo machine, and may very well not
work properly with what you have.

If you are not getting kernel output via the PROM, I would recommend
compiling a kernel without the grtwo (and perhaps also without the
newport, since I have no idea how gr3 probes) drivers  just to force
output via the PROM routines and eliminate the possibility of an unfit
driver attaching.

> <snip...>
> mainbus0 (root): SGI-IP22 [SGI, 6909b3b9], 1 processor
> cpu0 at mainbus0: MIPS R5000 CPU (0x2310) Rev. 1.0 with built-in FPU Rev. 1.0
> cpu0: 32KB/32B 2-way set-associative L1 Instruction cache, 48 TLB entries
> cpu0: 32KB/32B 2-way set-associative write-back L1 Data cache
> cpu0: 512KB/32B direct-mapped write-through L2 Data cache
> ioc0 at mainbus0 addr 0x1fbd9800: rev 0, machine Indy (Guiness), board rev 0
> int<freeze>
>
> the current kernel do not display anything.

I cannot think of why 3.x and -current would differ in this regard.

> any clues ?
> I could not try serial console is it worth to try ?

It would be an interesting data point, I think, but let's see where we
can get to before you go to any trouble obtaining a cable.

Take care,
Steve