Subject: Re: Building perl hangs on -current
To: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/28/2006 00:33:26
Quoting George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running a -current kernel (9th Nov.) on a R5000 Challenge S. I'm
> trying to build Perl 5.8.8 from pkgsrc but each time I run 'make' I get
> a kernel hang, no response on the serial console, none on the network
> and no error messages. The hang doesn't happen at the same place each
> time but I haven't been able to see exactly where for all of the hangs
> because it kills my xterm session. The two I did see were after 'Making
> B (dynamic)' and 'Extracting perlivp (with variable substitutions)'.
>
> I have successfully built Perl, from the same pkgsrc, on a R5000 O2
> running 3.1 so it looks like something specific to either the IP2x or
> -current. Is there any debugging I can enable to try and locate the
> problem?

You could compile a kernel with the DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC options to
see if anything trips up. Are you able to break into the kernel
debugger by issuing a BREAK on the serial console?

Just out of curiosity, can you still ping the machine, but not connect to it?

> I don't know if it makes a difference but pkgsrc is on a NFS mount (it
> was for the O2 build as well).

Are you still using the G130? If so, could you try doing the build
over the on-board SEEQ interface instead? If that fails as well, is it
possible to attempt a local pkgsrc build?

Sorry for the late response -- I've been busy and was hoping that
someone more knowledgeable would pipe up.

Regards,
Steve