Subject: Re: Netboot on an old Indigo - a bit lost
To: None <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: James Robinson <jmrobinson3@verizon.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/21/2006 23:42:43
OK,
Don't feel so bad. I just fired up one of my IP12's and it did the same
thing.
I get the kernel to tftp load to the IP12, and then when it jumps to
the entry point it just sits there. I am using the
netbsd.ecoff-GENERIC32_IP12.
For a sanity check I tried to boot the netbsd-GENERIC32_IP12 and I get
the "is not an executable file" like I expected....
Here is my setup....

HOST:
Ubuntu 6.10 running dhcpd and tftpd
- dhcpd.conf has an entry for the MAC address of the IP12
-dhcpd.conf has an entry to point to my box for it's tftp server
- dhcpd.conf has an entry for the file name to load. (netbsd, which I
link to what every file I want to load)

IP12:
-Did a resetenv
-Did a setenv netaddr 192.168.1.101
- issued "boot -f bootp():/netbsd"

I get:
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.1.101 (form server 192.168.1.100)
Obtaining  from server 192.168.1.100
2963712+337716+209216 entry: 0x80002000
<then  nothing, No disk activity>

Here is my "hinv"
	        Memory size: 72 Mbyte
  Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
	  Data cache size: 32 kbytes
               System Option: Audio processor, revision 3
                         Graphics: LG1
                       SCSI Disk: dksc(0,1)
                       SCSI Disk: Controller 0, ID 3, removable media
                     CPU board: IP12 33 MHz, with FPU

As a side note. I saw this same behavior when I compiled an IP22 linux
kernel and tried to run it on my IP20 box......
My 2 cent....
James