Subject: Re: Some feedback about netbsd on indigo --> part II: keyboard and IP20
To: None <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: Pierre Letouzey <Pierre.Letouzey@pps.jussieu.fr>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/02/2006 23:10:42
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:11:16PM -0500, Stephen M. Rumble wrote:

> You have a few possible solutions:
>
> 1) Add a call to 'zskbd_cnattach()' to the relevant part of console.c
> (look for 'Attach zskbd here'). I think that the unit number is 1 and
> channel number is 0. That is, 'zskbd_cnattach(1, 0)'.
>
> 2) Remove zskbd (and perhaps zsms, too) from your kernel configuration
> and let ARCBIOS handle the input. This is a little bit bad, as ARCBIOS
> will interpret ctrl+c and some other special sequences as 'drop back
> to prom'.
> Naturally, it very quickly becomes a nuisance.
>
> 3) Get a serial cable and either boot without a monitor, or set
> ConsoleOut to 'serial(x)', where 'x' is the desired serial port (0 or
> 1).
>
> The first two require a kernel compilation (easy enough with the
> build.sh framework) and the second needs a mini-din8 serial cable and
> null-modem in between. A Macintosh mini-din8 cable will work.

Luckily, I've just found today two din-8 cables that I'm now using as
console cable toward my two IP20 and IP22. And indeed this approach
solves my keyboard issue with IP20 for the moment. I'll test solution
1) later, but anyway the machines are meant to move soon to a server
room where console cable will be used to administrate them...

Cheers,

Pierre Letouzey