Subject: Re: IP32 supports serial console only
To: sNAAPS eLYK <3lucid@gmail.com>
From: chris commenda <chris.commenda@gmx.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/18/2006 09:42:12
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:04:48 -0400
"sNAAPS eLYK" <3lucid@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I've just purchased a Female-to-Female DB-9 aka DE-9 aka RS-232C cable.
>  I've got my O2 booting to the console - I can tell because nothing
> appears on my monitor until it gets to the IRIX login screen - but
> using the MINICOM program in Linux, I can't get anything.

in case You don't like minicom try gtkterm
	http://www.jls-info.com/julien/linux/
its memory expensive, but its looks much nicer...

> Would it be safe to assume that the cable I bought isn't a null-modem
> one, but just a straight Female-to-Female serial cable (without the
> apporiate wires crossed) - and that I could fix it by buying a
> Male-to-Female null-modem adapter?

There is a way to fix it if You have a solderer or know someone who..,
so open one of the connectors, interchange the connections between pin
2 (receive data) and 3 (transmit data) (2->3 and 3->2) leave pin 5
(signal ground) and cut the rest and You owe the simplest form of a
RS232 null modem cable (without handshake) this works fine at low and
medium baud rates.

reference to numbering of pins, explanations and pictures:

	http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html

best wishes,
chris