Subject: Re: Installing on IP22
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Vicky Staubly <vicky@steeds.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/11/2006 19:31:26
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Vicky Staubly wrote:
> My issue seems to be with (I think) the bootloader installed on
> the disk. I can netboot ok (that's how I did the install), and it
> installs NetBSD on the disk ok, but trying to boot directly off
> the disk gives me an ULTB Miss exception (probably a fancy way
> of saying it's trying to execute uninitialized memory as code).
> Is there some way I can refresh the bootloader? This drive actually
> came from a R10K Indigo2 and my Indigo2 is a 250MHz 4400.

Sorry for asking then answering my own question. Turns out there
was an old copy of sash in the volume header set as the OSLoader.
Once I changed that to "aoutboot" (and deleted sash from the volume
header, though I suppose I didn't have to do that). I guess that
copy of sash was from the disk's previous home in an R10K machine.

Anyway, things are looking good, I found the magic incantation to
prevent single-user boots (set OSLoadOptions=auto) and enabled
sshd. So I'm nearly ready to get it to boot "headless" (no console
at all, only network connection). But the version I installed was
2.0.2, and I know 3.0.1 is out. Is that enough "better" that I
should install it (before I spend a lot of time customizing the
current install)? Is there an FTP site with pre-compiled packages
for both or either?

--
Vicky Staubly       http://www.steeds.com/vicky/        vicky@steeds.com