Subject: Installing on IP22
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/10/2006 13:53:23
I've just tried installing for the first time on my Indigo2. I got it
bootstrapped OK into the netbsd-INSTALL32_IP2x kernel, but I'm having
terminal issues.

The kernel messages display fine (in green) and then I get the first few
lines of white text. However, when sysinst starts, the screen goes black
for about 15 seconds and then the sysinst menu is displayed.
Unfortunately, the current option is shown as black writing on a black
background. When I select the language, a rectangle of the screen is
cleared to black and I can't see anything else. I can (if I'm lucky)
Ctrl-C back to a prompt, but things like delete don't work (the character
to be deleted remains displayed, but the cursor moves back meaning that
when you type it mixes the two).

Also, I notice that mount_kernfs is missing from the RAM disk so you can't
see the dmesg once it's booted.

I don't want to use a serial console if I can help it.

Any pointers?

--
Stephen