Subject: Re: IP32 supports serial console only
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/08/2006 12:53:36
Hello

sNAAPS eLYK wrote:
> I've finally managed to boot to the NetBSD 3.0 install CD on my O2.
> It's a 200MHz R5k
> But as soon as I boot to the CD, the Kernel Panics and it tells me
> that it only supports a serial console!

I guess it is still this way. Did not play around with NetBSD 3.0
myself.

> Some googling has lead me to this
> <http://www.wenks.ch/fabian/NetBSD-SGI-O2.txt> which makes me believe

looks familiar ;)

> that I'll need to use a null-modem cable to get a serial console so
> that I can install NetBSD. Is this true? Or is there some env variable

This is true, at least NetBSD 2.0 did not work with the display.

> I can change? My printenv is thus:
>      >printenv
>      AutoLoad=Yes
>      console=g

According to my "checklist" you need to change this one with:

  setenv console d

Afterwards you need to have a null modem cable connect with the a
terminal programm and the parameters configured like I described in
the "checklist". You won't see anything on the display any more.

> Lastly, IRIX 6.5 is already installed and working on this machine -
> which I aquired as a gift from my uncle who got it from "work" (GE)
> which has used it for CAD (I assume).

If you want to use the O2 as a workstation (with graphical display),
then you will keep your IRIX installation. I'm not sure about the
status with graphical interface with NetBSD on the O2, but probably
it will never work.

bye
Fabian