Subject: Excuse my ignorance/Heresy
To: SgiMIPS <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Glenn Barry <glennrbarry@optusnet.com.au>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/26/2006 13:08:45
Hi There,

I've got an SGI O2 and an Octane and for the graphics and video/sound
hardware support I'm locked into Irix for the time being.

One thing which is glaringly absent from Irix is USB support, as well as
proper working firewire but that's another project for another time.

People at Nekochan are annoyed (moaning) at the lack of USB support for
IRIX, but no-one is doing anything about it.

Plus fact of the matter is SGI is never going to add it.

There's some excellent programmers there keeping ports of all sorts of
programs for Irix up to date, so I figure if I start the ball rolling it
may go somewhere.

My question is what is the feasability of porting the NetBSD USB drivers
over to Irix?

USB mass storage is my primary goal here.

I've read on the lists that you have working USB with the O2 port, so
that's a good start.

I'm not a programmer, that is I've managed to compile a few programs
under Irix with some guidance.

But I am up for long hours of grunt work if that's whats needed to start
with.

I have a 4 port Nec D720100 USB card here to test with.

If I'm way off track or a complete heretic please let me know (I'm
wearing my flack jacket)

Thanks

Glenn