Subject: Re: Serial Connections / Pin Assignments / Nullmodem Indigo2 to PC
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Volkmar Seifert <v.seifert@seyecon.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 06/03/2006 19:57:52
> Before starting, please note that the below descripted setup has not
> yet been tested and verified, that it is provided with no guarantees
> at all, and that I refuse any responsibility for possible damages
> that occurred while using cables based on the information below. If
> you use the information of this mail, YOU DO THAT AT YOUR OWN RISK!
>
> As soon as I have all the parts I need to assemble such a cable, and
>  as soon as I have the time to really assemble it, I will test and
> verify this. I will then write a confirmation report - or correct the
>  errors.  ;-)

Well - it's been a long time, but I finally found a fix for the
ENOTIME-Problem, and tried the setting I was describing in my previous
mail (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2005/04/29/0001.html)

After fighting a fierce little war with that damn mini-DIN-8 plug, which
I finally won, I had my cable ready for trying. It worked perfectly well.

On SGI-side, you simply need to do

setenv nogfxkd 0

then remove the keyboard, and restart the machine.
The bootprocess will then fall back to serial console (using the first
serial port).

That's all.

Still: If you follow these instructions, you are entirely on your own.
All you do is at YOUR OWN RISK...you have been warned.

;-)

--

MfG / best regards

Volkmar Seifert
Senior Consultant

 sEyeCon IT-Consulting      | Phone : +49-8546-97452-1
 Schalterner Str. 70        | Fax   : +49-8546-97452-2
 94034 Passau               | Mobile: +49-171-78 67 331
 PGP-Key ID: 0x51FA35CD
 PGP-Fingerprint:
     5D13 ECEE D6D1 55A5 B9B7 F4D4 E4B1 6E67 51FA 35CD