Subject: Re: NetBSD on IP22 boxes
To: Miguel Mendez <mmendez@energyhq.be>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=E9mi_Zara?= <remi.zara@free.fr>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 02/11/2006 12:20:58
Le 11 f=E9vr. 06 =E0 10:41, Miguel Mendez a =E9crit :

> Hi there,
>
> A while ago I tried NetBSD on an R4000 Indy and there were still lots
> of problems with programs segfaulting randomly most of the time.
> Recently I've gotten an Indigo2 and I'd like to run NetBSD on it. The
> question is: Is anybody running NetBSD 3.0 or current on SGI hardware
> and what your experience is with it? Is it stable enough for daily
> usage?

Hi,

I've installed NetBSD 3.0 on an indigo 2. For the moment, it is not =20
that stable.
It's an "old" indigo 2, because I had to follow instructions for old =20
firmware not accepting kernels in the right format.

I have mainly 2 problems:

* booting hangs when probing the video card one out of two times:
   -> power on : works
   -> reboot or reset: hangs
   -> reset: works
   -> etc.

* I'm panicing quite often on disk operations, and it does not help =20
that re-booting hangs every other time.
  It's so often that I cannot yet put the machine to useful work.
  I don't know if it's because of faulty hardware, of because of bugs =20=

in NetBSD

Regards,

R=E9mi Zara