Subject: Trying to build 3.0 install kernel for Challenge S, can't get diskimage
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: . . <c743580@hotmail.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 02/01/2006 22:14:31
I've managed to cross-compile a generic 3.0 kernel without the haltwo
support so I can netboot my Challenge S system, but now I'm baffled by the
need to make a similar install kernel.  First I just cross-compiled the
kernel with an empty ramdisk and, predictably, got the "No /sbin/init"
error.  I've since read that I need to add the 3mb diskimage to the kernel
file using mdsetimage.

So I ran every iteration of mdsetimage I can think of to glue my install
kernel and the diskimage file together.  I can't get past the /sbin/init not
found problem!

The only thing I can get working on my Challenge S is the generic 3.0 kernel
via netboot, or the 1.6 install kernel.  I tried to do an nfs install and
cheat the 1.6 into loading 3.0 material, but, well, the system is a wreck
right now.  <grin>

Any advice on getting the mdsetimage command to marry the diskimage to the
install.kernel would sure be appreciated!

-- Tom