Subject: Re: zs mouse driver on IP12/IP20
To: None <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/18/2005 20:12:47
In article <1129572652.4353e92c976c1@webmail.utoronto.ca>
stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca wrote:

> Yes, that makes absolute sense. The IRIX mouse(7) man page says: 'Positive
> values indicate movement to the right or upward.'. I don't know if this matches
> wsmouse(4).

MI pms(4) and mms(4) on dreamcast pass the same sign values
(rightward and upward are positive) to MI wsmouse for both axises,
so maybe it's okay.
(though its Y-axis is inverted from the dix layer of Xservers)

Note for Z-axis, turning a wheel to backward (umm, how should I
mention it in my poor English...  direction scrollbar will go down
on the screen) is positive, it seems.

> I do not know, either, if the values need to be tweaked by different function or
> if they're okay as-is. I mean: I don't know if the relationship between x1 and
> x2 (also y1 and y2) are simply additive. That was just a guess. I guess that
> your test program will be indicative of proper behaviour.

sys/dev/sun/ms.c has the similar protocol, so maybe
it's the common strategy for ordinary serial mice.

> > - 1 is DOWN, and 0 is UP for buttons on wsmouse(4)
> Yes, you're right. Could you please update the wsmouse(9) manpage to reflect
> this? There's only a little comment in the source.

Yeah, actually I had to test wsmouse on various machines to confirm
its API. "leftmost=0" is noted in sys/dev/wscons/wsconsio.h
but no description which direction is positive for each axis.
I'll update the man page appropriately.

> > Is it okay to commit attached patch?
> It looks alright to me.

Ok, thanks.