Subject: Re: Problems installing NetBSD in an Indigo IP20
To: Marc Torrano <marctm@gmail.com>
From: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/10/2005 18:13:11
Marc Torrano wrote:

> The installation method I'm using is DHCP/TFTP. All seems to be OK and
> after getting the kernel the system started to process the file (the
> system echoed the hardware found ...). But suddenly, the system doesn't
> respond neither the keyboard nor the mouse. Sometimes I can see
> "Terminal type? [vt100]", but I can make no choice. But not always I can
> arrive to this point.
> [...]
> >> hinv
>                    System: IP20
>                 Processor: R4000 50 Mhz, with FPU

I have similar problems on my IP22 Indy with R4000/100MHz.
Also refer to my thread from last November:
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2004/11/11/0000.html

Which CPU revision do you have? I have V2.2. There is an Errata
from MIPS about the R4000 2.2 and 3.0, which describes 55(!)
CPU bugs and their workarounds. Most prominently, the "branch
to end of page" hardware bug, which has no workaround in NetBSD.

The errata is available at:
  http://www.mips.com/content/PressRoom/TechLibrary/RSeriesDocs/content_html
and is called: R4000PC/SC Errata, Processor Revision 2.2 and 3.0.

--
   _  Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)
_ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/