Subject: Re: A question about MIPS machines
To: Florian Laws <florian@void.s.bawue.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/01/2005 09:15:40
In message <20050330142313.GC3617@void.s.bawue.de>, you write:

-> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:48:43PM +0200, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
-> >
-> > What seems to be the "best" available MIPS-machine
-> > (WRT simplicity of the processor and/or simplicity of installing NetBSD)?
-> > Is SGI a good choice? Indigo, Indy or yet another?
->
-> What about an R3000-based DECstation,
-> such as the DECstation 5000 series (except the /50, /150 and /260 models)?
->
-> Sure, they might be old and slow, but I think the R3000 processor
-> is simpler than the R4000 processors used in the SGIs.

I have no experience with DECstations (NetBSD or otherwise), but what you
say about the processor is certainly true and as the latest cache troubles
on R5k machines show, the NetBSD code maps a lot better to the R3000.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill