Subject: A question about MIPS machines
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/30/2005 15:48:43
I've asked this question on netbsd-help; someone suggested
I also ask here.

I'd like to study the low level details of modern OS features
(Virtual memory, context switching, device drivers, etc...).
Of course I plan to use NetBSD ;)

I'm looking for the simplest architecture.
I'm aware of the inherent complexity of these topics but
I want to avoid "unnecessary" complexities (like those of i386
which is so encumbered with legacy issues).

Are MIPS-based computer a good choice?
Are there other alternatives ?

What seems to be the "best" available MIPS-machine
(WRT simplicity of the processor and/or simplicity of installing NetBSD)?
Is SGI a good choice? Indigo, Indy or yet another?

Advices would be appreciated.

TIA
Thierry Lacoste.