Subject: Re: SGI Indy full-screen console mode
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Malte Dehling <mdehling@math.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/28/2004 19:18:52
On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 09:34:11PM +0200, Ilpo Ruotsalainen wrote:
> On Mon Dec 27 2004 at 17:48:41 +0100, Malte Dehling wrote:
> > While testing, I noticed some rather unusual behaviour; this is what I posted
> > earlier today:
> > # dmesg | grep newport
> > newport0 at gio0 slot 2 addr 0x1f000000: SGI NG1 (board revision 2, cmap revision 5, xmap revision 5, vc2 revision 0), depth 8
> > wsdisplay0 at newport0 kbdmux 1: console (1280x1024, vt100 emulation)
> >
> > (It is definitly what I saw!)
> >
> > but now i get on the same Indy:
> > # dmesg | grep newport
> > newport0 at gio0 slot 2 addr 0x1f000000: SGI NG1 (board revision 6, cmap revision 5, xmap revision 5, vc2 revision 0), depth 8
> > wsdisplay0 at newport0 kbdmux 1: console (1280x1024, vt100 emulation)
> >
> > Now the board revision is 6 and not 2... Whenever board_rev=6 is detected, my
> > cursor is at the correct location (x_offset=29) and also, I get a fully
> > functional fullscreen console!
> >
> > Still, sometimes I get board_rev=2, so I think either my hardware is broken
> > or something is wrong in the detection of board_rev.
>
> How random is this (or does it depend on cold/warm boot, power cycling
> or somesuch)? And how often do you get those revisions (is one much more
> common than the other)? I have a feeling there may be timing problems
> lurking in the detection code... I can whip up some test patches but
> cannot test them myself as my Indys are not operational at the moment.

I booted my Indy atleast a hundred times to check this, well, not 100 times,
but very many...

The first time I boot after I turn on my Indy, it hardly ever detects my
newport. After that it detects a newport, either board_rev 6 or board_rev 2,
with in both cases x_offset=29 being the correct value (I applied the kernel
patch and set hw.newport.x_offset_override=29 in /etc/sysctl.conf .)
One thing I noticed while rebooting many times is that after it has detected
my newport once, it keeps reporting the same board_rev no matter how often I
reboot.

I know this is rather vague and its just _my_ Indy (which could be broken)...

If you would like me to run any other tests, just let me know.

btw: is it on purpose that when I boot my Indy by typing boot in the
`Command Monitor' it boots into single user mode?

--
Malte Dehling

Mail:		mdehling [at] math.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Website:	http://mdehling.ath.cx/mdehling/
PGP:		2586 A3BF B438 E68E 2B85  C4EA C5A7 AD96 C865 03D2