Subject: Re: Problems with 2.0RC4 on my Indy
To: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
From: Ilpo Ruotsalainen <lonewolf@iki.fi>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/28/2004 19:07:47
On Fri Nov 12 2004 at 20:45:36 +0200, Frank Wille wrote:
> > > - "poweroff" works, but the Indy's shutdown-melody is destroyed. I hear
> > > a loud random noise.
> >
> > Very odd.
>
> Nobody else had this before?
> What has to be overwritten to get this effect?

Sorry for the slow answer, I've been busy...

Anyway, I don't think it's a question of overwriting anything, it's more
likely to be caused by HAL2/HPC configuration being completely different
from what ARCS expects, ARCS is known to be pretty bad about resetting
things the way they should be (f. ex. the Seeq on my test Indy is
completely hosed from the point of view of ARCS after a warm reboot, it
will send but won't ever receive anything, which is kinda annoying since
it means I can't remote netboot).

Also note that to simplify things the driver doesn't do very complete
shutdown of the DMA engine when playback stops, it just simply disables
DMA from HPC bus driver but leaves HAL2 DMA engine running (hey, it
works ;), which might confuse ARCS.

There are some projects to improve the HAL2 driver for someone with the
hardware, skills and time, namely:
1. Mixer support (the chip can do some very basic things, and
   mute-setting would be good to have)
2. Recording support (the code is almost there, just needs some
   finishing touches and refactoring of common routines)

--
Ilpo Ruotsalainen - <lonewolf@iki.fi> - http://www.iki.fi/lonewolf/