Subject: Re: Problems with 2.0RC4 on my Indy
To: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/13/2004 10:15:44
In message <20041113111814.GD14174@rezrov.net>, you write:

[...re shutdown tune playing garbled...]
-> > What has to be overwritten to get this effect?
->
-> I suppose it could happen if the audio chip is in a really weird state at
-> shutdown; also could happen if the FPU is not enabled.

The FPU is definitely (re-)enabled, because otherwise I'd get a 'CP1
unusable trap' (CP1 == FPU) shutting down my Indy when the boot tune
was supposed to be played.  Maybe there is junk left over in the FP
regs when we re-enable it, or we don't supply some key piece of ini-
tialization?

See sgimips/sgimips/machdep.c, ~ line 691 for where this happens.  I
do recall that one of my SGI boxes also had/has this issue with the
garbled shutdown tune as well, though I can't remember which..  maybe
it was one of the boxes I upgraded my CPU on? -- but I never looked
into it in any depth.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill