Subject: Re: Problems with 2.0RC4 on my Indy
To: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
From: Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/11/2004 18:46:47
--Signature=_Thu__11_Nov_2004_18_46_47_+0100_mnsZ8Ax1a9d_N4A_

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:33:32 +0200
"Frank Wille" <frank@phoenix.owl.de> wrote:

Hi,

> The system was running Irix 5.3 for the last years and never
> had any problems. The hardware should be stable and reliable.
>
> My main problem is that many (most? all?) NetBSD programs tend
> to cause a segmentation fault. For example, when typing "w"
> 30 times, I will get 26 successful executions and 4 times a
> segmentation fault (occurence is total random). This is only
> an example and probably valid for all programs (segmentation
> faults seen with "df", "gcc", "ls", "rm", "sed", etc..).

I have the same hardware as you, and this problem has been there for a
long time. AFAIK this only happens with dynamic executables and, as you
say, seems to be random (from a user's perspective at least).

> Inspecting such a core dump with gdb always leads to the same
> result: the program pointer is in illegal address space
> (at least I believe so). The address is always 0x5ffe????.

Others can correct me here, but IIRC the problem is in the cache
management code. I thought this had been fixed already, at least
for the R4000 series, R5000 is a bit different and R8000 is a completely
different beast.

I can't comment on the rest because I've always netbooted with a serial
console, but maybe Rafal or ther other SGI-clued NetBSDers can fill in.
I've been wanting to try a more recent 2.0 snapshot for a while, and it
would be interesting to hear some success stories on the matter,
specially on Indy hardware.

Btw, I always used your phx assembler for my Amiga coding back in the
day, great piece of software :)

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org> | Extreme ways are back again