Subject: Re: dangerous keystrokes from INDY graphics console
To: James B. Wilkinson <jimmy@cs.cofc.edu>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/16/2004 16:10:50
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 07:12:19PM -0400, Steve Rumble wrote:
|On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:51:29PM -0400, James B. Wilkinson wrote:
|> The installation instructions tell you everything but how to burn the
|> CD from the file.
|
|The image isn't a real cd9660 iso, so programs with sanity checks would
|understandably complain. I just use cdrecord, and pass the filename in
|on the command line. It seems content.
|
|> BTW the file I downloaded is named netbsd-sgimips.iso (about 150 MB).
|> Did I get the right one? I don't see anything else there that looks
|> promising.
|
|As far as I can see it's the only image. I pulled it down and tried it
|out, but was unable to get it to boot, either. I've never actually used
|a cd install before, so I could be doing something wrong.

I also downloaded the 2.0 image from the given link, burnt it using
cdrecord and tried to boot my O2:

|> printenv
|AutoLoad=Yes
|console=g
|diskless=0
|dbaud=9600
|volume=80
|sgilogo=y
|monitor=h
|TimeZone=PST8PDT
|netaddr=192.0.2.1
|crt_option=1
|osloadoptions=auto
|SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(4)rdisk(0)partition(8)
|OSLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(4)rdisk(0)partition(0)
|cpufreq=174
|eaddr=08:00:69:0c:43:c7
|NoAutoLoad=CONSOLE OPEN FAILED.
|ConsoleOut=serial(0)
|ConsoleIn=serial(0)
|videostatus=illegal_env_var
|OSLoader=boot
|OSLoadFilename=netbsd
|kernname=hinfo
|> boot
|Unable to load scsi(0)disk(4)rdisk(0)partition(8)/boot: no such file or directory

it's a different error than I had previously, but still no boot ... :)

|Although, the 1.6.1 image did work.

which image from 1.6.1 did you use which worked? I've made two
from various URLs for my O2, neither of which have booted. I don't
particularly mind whether I initially install from 2.0 or 1.6.1, so any
bootable CD would be fine, for me. Unfortunately I don't have control
over our DHCP servers so netbooting is out ...

--
Malcolm Herbert                                    System Administrator
ph [990] 54881 rm 28-241                          School of GeoSciences