Subject: Re: Sharing of interrupts?
To: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/15/2004 19:04:43
--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:18:59PM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> in an attempt at bringing life to the additional net and scsi
> controllers on a Challenge S machine, I added the rather obvious
>=20
> sq*   at hpc1 offset ?
> wdsc* at hpc1 offset ?
>=20
> but the resulting kernel didn't like the result:
>=20
> hpc1 at gio0 addr 0x1fb00000: SGI HPC3
> zsc at hpc1 offset 0x59830 not configured
> pckbc at hpc1 offset 0x59840 not configured
> sq1 at hpc1 offset 0x54000int0: cannot share interrupts yet.
> : SGI Seeq 80c03
> sq1: Ethernet address 08:00:69:09:72:fa
> wdsc1 at hpc1 offset 0x44000int0: cannot share interrupts yet.
> [BREAK]

-current has support for shared interrupts in int(4) as of ~1
week ago, but 2.0 does not. Unfortunately, this won't be enough.
The short is it won't work, the long is below.

> at which point it wedged solid, and is most probably in need of a
> power cycle.
>=20
> I wonder, what would it take to bring this hardware to life under
> NetBSD?

Off the top of my head, there are two problems that will hinder
functionality. First, HPC assumes that the version of chip it's
dealing with can be determined by the machine it's running on.
For instance, hpc1.x on IP12/20, hpc3 on ip22/24. This isn't
always the case, as there exist gio32 hpc1.5-based seeq and
scsi cards that'll work on the Indigos and Indy. I'm not sure
if there ever were hpc3-based gio32 cards, or, for that matter,
gio64-based hpc3 cards for the indigo2. Second, the hpc driver's
static configuration table includes interrupt vectors that will
be incorrect for add-on adapters.

Furthermore, while I've tried to get my e++ hpc1.5 ethernet
adapter to work in my Indy and Indigo, I've been unsuccessful.
Interrupts appear to come across, but it doesn't look like it
does DMA properly, although the Indigo appears to at least
receive packets.

Cheers,
Steve

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj