Subject: dangerous keystrokes from INDY graphics console
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: James B. Wilkinson <jimmy@cs.cofc.edu>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/08/2004 19:42:33
I've had a problem with our INDY slipping back into the prom when I
type certain keystrokes on the graphics console. This is a pain
because a reboot is then required, and the hard drives have to be
cleaned by fsck on the way back up. I found one reference to this
problem in the mail archive, but there was no solution offered.

Is there a solution to this? The only thing I can think of right now
is to get rid of the graphics console and use a dumb terminal. This
seems to involve resetting a couple of ENV variables in the prom and
then doing the right things in /etc/ttys.

The keystrokes that I've had a problem with are

CTRL/D  This one is consistent. Every time.

uparrow from the four arrow keys (I was asking the shell to back up
to the previous command)   I'm absolutely sure this happened a time
or two, but sometimes it does what I want.

CTRL/C  I think this did it once or twice, but I'm not absolutely sure.

BTW, iris-ansi seems to work as the terminal type for the graphics
console if I'm careful not to type the wrong keys.

Thanks

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor of Computer Science
jimmy@cs.CofC.edu          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me,
that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.