Subject: help booting SGI O2 from CDROM?
To: None <>
From: Malcolm Herbert <>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 06/30/2004 17:33:27

hi, I'm wanting to have a look at NetBSD on some unused O2s we have=20
around the place for the sheer novelty of it, however I'm having a=20
hard time trying to get it to boot.

I burnt the 1.6.2 install CD and fired the O2 up to the PROM and used
the notes to try and alter the PROM environment to boot from the CD
(as given in

unfortunately, this doesn't appear to work ... is there something I've
missed?  Session log to this point is as follows:

|Cannot connect to keyboard -- check the cable.
|Cannot open keyboard() for input
|Cannot connect to keyboard -- check the cable.
|Cannot open keyboard() for input
|                         Running power-on diagnostics...
|System Maintenance Menu
|1) Start System
|2) Install System Software
|3) Run Diagnostics
|4) Recover System
|5) Enter Command Monitor
|Option? 5
|Command Monitor.  Type "exit" to return to the menu.
|> printenv
|> hinv -v
|                   System: IP32
|                Processor: 175 Mhz R10000, with FPU
|     Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
|     Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
|     Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes
|              Memory size: 128 Mbytes
|                 Graphics: CRM, Rev C
|                    Audio: A3 version 1
|                SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(2)
|               SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)cdrom(4)
|> setenv systempartition scsi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(8)
|> setenv osloadpartition scsi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(0)
|> setenv osloadfilename netbsd
|> setenv osloadoptions auto
|> setenv osloader boot
|> boot
|Unable to load scsi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(8)/boot: no such file or di=

any help would be great, thanks

Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally                                                left blank

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)