Subject: Re: panic: cache error -- on R5k INDY
To: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
From: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/24/2004 18:01:22
On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at  4:52pm, sgimips NetBSD list wrote:
> Subject: Re: panic: cache error -- on R5k INDY

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at  2:37pm, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> > Subject: Re: panic: cache error -- on R5k INDY
>
> WELL...
>
> It's not the kernel, per se.   Or maybe it is.
>
> If I boot any of the failing kernels with my disk containing a
> 1.6ZK filesystem and files, it works just fine.
>
> If I boot ANY kernel (tested from current back to 1.6ZK) with the
> current or 2.0 releng filesystems, the failure occurs.
>
> So, something in the filesystem or daemons or libraries or something
> is causing the actual problem.  Thus, it doesn't appear to be a change
> to the kernel, but something in the other binaries or the filesystem
> itself is my ignorant guess.
>
> I'll move /etc/init and a few libraries around and see what I can narrow
> down unless someone else can suggest a more intelligent approach to
> tracking this down.

Moved things around, and libc.so.12.114 is the culprit.  libc.so.12.114
and the currently-built libc.so.12.116 both cause the problem.
When libc.so.12.113 (which is pre-2.0) is placed in /lib (and all /lib
and /usr/lib symlinks to it are adjusted) all seems fine.

Narrowing down specific dates on libc will be forever timeconsuming as
it is a very heavy and long build.  It isn't likely I'll be attempting that :)

Let me know if I missed something else to check or if there's a better way of
narrowing down the changes that affect this.

-scott