Subject: Re: NetBSD on an O2
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/14/2004 13:37:56
On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:32:04PM +0200, Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I got an old o2 lying around here and tried to install NetBSD on it.
> It couldnt boot from the NetBSD ISO, and I read here that its
> NIC is not yet supported. Is that still true? Or is it worth the
> effort setting up everything for a netboot?
>
> On the other hand, it couldnt boot from the IRIX cd neither, so
> maybe it just broken after all...
>
> Kosta

Howdy Kosta,

Check out the thread starting March 17/04 title "Any alternatives to
fx(1) for creating a boot able hard drive on an O2?" in the list
archives.

can then install to a hard drive. The on-board NIC works for this part
(since ARCS controls it, not NetBSD). If you want network access after
you've installed (or to install via the network, say via FTP or the
like) you'll also want a generic PCI-based NIC in the single PCI slot on
the O2. I use a 'ex' based Network card (a 3Com 905B) and it works
fine.

-T

--
One day, a student asked a master, "Master, there is conflict between the
suits and the sysadmins. Which group has the Zen nature, and which group is