Subject: Re: IP20 memory suckage
To: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: Gerald heinig <Gerald.Heinig@ngi.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 02/06/2004 09:38:02
Steve Rumble wrote:

> > I've discovered a memory checking utility under the FreeBSD ports
> > system, memtest, which I haven't been able to find for NetBSD. I'll try
> > and port it over, unless anyone has any better ideas for testing memory
> > under NetBSD.
>
> You could just try pulling out the cpu board and removing the
> memory from one bank at a time until it works, assuming there is
> a bank without a bad simm.

That doesn't seem to work. I took out one SIMM and it complained on
bootup about needing a fully-populated bank. I can't remember the exact
wording, but it implied that you had to have at least 4 SIMMS installed.

> A cursory look suggests that memtest is fairly portable already.

Correct. There's nothing to port: it compiled out of the box.
And detected no errors at all. However, it only found 20 megs of free
memory in a 64 meg machine. I reckon the system is detecting 4 16 meg
SIMMs, of which 2 are broken, so I effectively only have 32 megs. That's
the only scenario that makes sense.

> > Assuming the memory is bad, does anyone have any suggestions for getting
> > SGI Indigo memory, apart from, say, www.memoryx.com. If it's in Europe,
> > or even better, in Germany, that would be really cool.
>
> The IP20 uses regular true-parity 72-pinn SIMMs. I wouldn't
> think that they're all that difficult to track down. Perhaps
> www.ebay.de?

Amazing. SGI using standard parts?!? The horror! :)

Cheers,
Gerald