Subject: Re: mips asm development
To: Ryan Cozzubbo <coz@badblock.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/20/2004 10:34:26
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Ryan Cozzubbo wrote:
> I am in the beginning process of learning mips assembly. What do you use
> for development tools?  Do you program, cross compile on netbsd-i386?  If
> so, are there any docs on how to setup gcc/as/ld to cross compile?

NetBSD's toolchain iss crosscompiler-ready, doing something like "build.sh
-m sgimips tools" should give you a compiler, assembler, etc. that will
have sgimips as target.

See here for some more information:
http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/xdev.html

> What I want to do is to program something that boots and prints out a
> string (baby steps). Maybe later on more complicated stuff.

IC... have a look at the routines in src/sys/arch/sgimips. :)

> What books do you recommend?  I just ordered "see mips run", I'm hoping
> that could start me off.

I hear that's THE book for MIPS programming.
(I've not read it myself, and I don't do MIPS programming either, so...
:-)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>