Subject: Re: Newport 24-bit works, except for cursor
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Ilpo Ruotsalainen <lonewolf@iki.fi>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/11/2004 03:52:43
On Sat Jan 10 2004 at 19:24:16 -0600, sgimips NetBSD list wrote:
> I can confirm that the 24-bit newport display works great... EXCEPT...

Whoa, nice.

There's a known gotcha though. If you have a newport and use serial
console (ie. even PROM doesn't touch the board) you get a hang during
boot. I haven't been able to test this (due to lack of correct serial
adapter, curse SGI for using such a crappy connector) but my guess would
be it hangs in the resolution detection. Working on this.

I'd very much like to be able to program the timings myself to avoid the
dependency on PROM setting things up but currently lack the means to do
so, working on it though.

> The cursor is shifted one character to the left, thus obscuring the
> last-typed character or completely dissapearing off the left-hand of
> the screen if on the first column.
>
> I worked around this by commenting out the revision-checking code in
> sys/arch/sgimips/gio/newport.c:
>
>                 /* Work around bug in some board revisions */
>                 /*if (dc->dc_boardrev < 6)
>                         x_offset = 21;
>                 else */
>                         x_offset = 31;

I think either a) the board revision check is busted or b) the cursor
bug check should not use board revision but rather the VC2 revision.

Also I've one report that x_offset needs to be 29 instead of 21 (works
for my board) or 31 (what the docs say). I'll whip up some test
"paetches" later on.

--
Ilpo Ruotsalainen - <lonewolf@iki.fi> - http://www.iki.fi/lonewolf/