Subject: Re: SGI Pentium box
To: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/04/2004 13:32:54
Toru Nishimura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although it does not technically belong here, I would like to collect
> the details about SGI's Pentium boxes in favour of the company.
>
> - It's reported the little endian version of ARCS machine tailoured
> for Pentium processor.  Is it true?
> - How about its graphics engines?  Can any technological DNA be
> traced back to famous SGI design?
> - Do anyone out there hope to use NetBSD for the abandoned
> products?

IIRC it has very custom system bus, for which there is no
public documentation. I didn't manage to get any non-public
when I tried, either. The SGI representatives I talked to basically
said that it's really not worth the efford to try support them
given the lack of docs, since there is no significant deployment
of the machines in the first place.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-