Subject: Re: Boot failure with very -current on Indy
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/03/2004 19:30:23
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 06:36:52AM +0200, Ilpo Ruotsalainen wrote:

> This *might* fix some similar ("strange crash in mach_init()") problems.

it wasn't the cause for failed cdrom boots on ip2x, but it steered me in the
right direction.

for reasons that are very unclear, on ip2x bootloaders, the first byte in
each struct is initialized to zero (but not subsequent bytes).  this plays
merry hell with the bootinfo infrastructure.  this does not happen when the
same bootloader is invoked from disk, nor does it happen under any circumstances
on ip32.

as we ignore the bootinfo data anyway (and, indeed, was actually ifdef'd out
before i reworked it for cdrom boots awhile back), i've disabled it.

cdrom boots (and therefore cdrom installation) now work on ip2x.

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)