Subject: Boot failure with very -current on Indy
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Ilpo Ruotsalainen <lonewolf@iki.fi>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/31/2003 12:43:03
A very -current kernel hangs early on my Indy.

I traced it dying inside the uvm_pageboot_alloc() in mach_init()
(allocating USPACE). The funny thing is, it seems we end up
pmap_steal_memory()ing our own boot stack, because it *does* return from
pmap_steal_memory() with correct looking pointers around (and clears the
allocated memory) but it never gets back to uvm_pageboot_alloc() from
where it was called... (Yup; printing a pointer to a stack variable
yields a pointer near the address pmap_steal_memory() is returning.)

I guess ARCS either doesn't inform us about it's stack as being
"non-free" memory or we use much more stack than ARCS allocates...

--
Ilpo Ruotsalainen - <lonewolf@iki.fi> - http://www.iki.fi/lonewolf/