Subject: Re: GIO bus probe, testers wanted
To: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/14/2003 17:09:10
On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 09:34:57PM +0000, Matt Dainty wrote:
> On a hunch, I pulled the second ethernet card out, and this hpc1
> and it's children disappeared.
>
> It's got a big LSI chip on the card that has the label "HPC1.5". Any
> help?

HPC 1.5 is the biendian version of HPC1 (which I believe appeared
in the Personal Iris 4d/30 and 4d/35 machines) that is used in
the R3k and R4k Indigos. It's not currently supported intree, but
Chris Sekiya is constantly bringing in necessary changes for it.

SGI rolled out scsi and ethernet (E++) adapters that just took an
HPC1.5 with a wd33c93 or seeq 80c03 chipset for expansion. They're
basically identical to the Indigo onboard configuration, although
I could never get mine to work on my IP20.

Curiously, the hpc-based gio cards don't align themselves with
the usual GIO slot base addresses. I think that this may be an
artifact of design considerations for multiple onboard HPCs. I'm
not aware of any such configurations, however.

Steve