Subject: Re: sgivol as host tool?
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/10/2003 11:19:20
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 02:13:46AM +0200, Ilpo Ruotsalainen wrote:

> Linux doesn't have sys/disklabel.h nor the ioctl() used.

Upon reflection, I'm not convinced that sgivol needs to muck with the disklabel
at all.

If it's being used as a host tool, it won't be creating/accessing the
filesystem as seen from the BSD side of things,

If it's being used natively (i.e., during an install), it is used to make things
look correct from the ARCS point of view -- volume header and checksum.  It
won't be used to set up the actual filesystems -- they'll be created via
disklabel(8), and disklabel(5) handles the SGI<->BSD conversion.

To that end, I'm thinking that we should nuke the disklabel references
in sgivol.  That will result in rather portable code :)

Thoughts?

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)