Subject: Re: GIO bus probe, testers wanted
To: None <Gerald.Heinig@ngi.de, rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: systems engineer <ozone@rs.cname.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/05/2003 11:33:50
> I have the GIO bus specification document around here somewhere.
> From what I recall, it should be very similar on the IP20,22,24,
> despite Indy having a 32bis (I think) and Indigo^2 a GIO64 bus.

IP12 has something analagous to "gio32 1.0" -- the indy is officially
"gio32bis", but the IP20 is not quite gio32bis (the E++ and XPI boards
work in both IP20/IP22, but the GFE only works in an indy).

interesting point: device addressing is tied to the slot; an E++ (or
GFE) will be either unit 1 or unit 2 (unit 3? it's been a while) depending
which slot it's in. gee, just like an apple ][ ;)

i also have (but i would be challenged to find) the PCI FE card for
o2, which uses the same chip as the GFE.

> I picked up an E++ on ebay. They're quite rare and you're
> probably more likely to find a full machine with a card already.
> Of course, being in Europe may exacerbate the problem.

i have a GFE (100baseT, tlan chip) around here somewhere... and i have
a scsi interface (hard to find, not close at hand) and some XPI FDDI
boards. i'm pretty sure i can lay hands on the GFE. i may have an E++.
and of course i have some challenge S scsi/ethernet risers (with the
scsi chip that will probably never have a free driver).