Subject: Re: GIO bus probe, testers wanted
To: Gerald heinig <Gerald.Heinig@ngi.de>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/05/2003 12:35:34
On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 12:29:54PM +0100, Gerald heinig wrote:
> this is very cool. I'm slowly getting my cross-compiler setup going
> again after a 2 year break, so I can work on the IP20 port.
> Any ideas whether this will work on GIO32bis buses? I'll have the answer
> in a few weeks, I hope, but are there many differences between GIO64 and
> GIO32bis (as used on IP20, IIRC)?

I have the GIO bus specification document around here somewhere.
From what I recall, it should be very similar on the IP20,22,24,
despite Indy having a 32bis (I think) and Indigo^2 a GIO64 bus.

IP12 is apparently a bit different with some special id registers
at weird locations. I've never played with it on such a machine,
but I recall finding that the IP20 doesn't share those features.

I believe the document was obtained with the rest of the released
Indy docs, but if you want it just drop me a line off list.

> Last question: I had a look on Ebay a while back if there were any GIO
> cards that I could scavenge, but I've never seen one offered. Does this
> sort of hardware ever come up on Ebay or is it so rare to be effectively
> non-existent?

I picked up an E++ on ebay. They're quite rare and you're
probably more likely to find a full machine with a card already.
Of course, being in Europe may exacerbate the problem.

Steve