Subject: sysinst won't untar sets
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/06/2003 22:12:49
It seems that the progress(1) used in/by sysinst is not working.

I have been unable to install using sysinst due to the untarring
of sets steps simply sitting there--nothing happens, but the machine
is not hung.   The process simply idles.

The problem is exhibited during the install process when untarring
sets and the following is displayed:

    Command: progress -zf /mnt2//binary/sets/base.tgz tar -xepf -

Simply nothing happens... You can ^Z out to observe df(1)
changes or even "ls -lR" the new root... nothing is getting
installed, even after 20 minutes.

Running the command:
	progress -zf /mnt2//binary/sets/base.tgz tar -xepf -
at the command line exhibits the same problem.

Untarring with the following command:
	gzip -dc /mnt2/binary/sets/base.tgz | tar -xepf -
works just fine.  So the problem certainly isn't with pipes or gzip.

I'll check into this later (if someone else doesn't first).

-scott