Subject: Re: OT: Single ended disks in Onyx system?
To: Christian Johansson <Christian.Johansson@isd.se>
From: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/09/2003 14:59:39
On Thu, 8 May 2003, Christian Johansson wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Sorry about this question being OT, but since I was on this list anyway
>I thought there may be someone here who knows the answer.
>
>I just got an SGI Onyx RE2 system and the system disk was a bit
>small for IRIX 6.5 (NetBSD not supported, right?). The problem
>is that the disk seems to be differential and my question is:
>May I stick an "normal" single ended disk in that drive sled without
>problems, or will there be flames and smoke?

Assuming we're talking LVD (Low Voltage Differential,) then the drive
should be fine, and the bus and any other LVD devices will fall back to
being SE. LVD (MSE) SCSI was specifically designed with this compatibility
in mind, in contrast to HVD (High Voltage Differential) with was
completely incompatible with SE SCSI.

For more info, check out:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Hardware/Buses/SCSI/FAQs

>Regards
>
>/Christian Johansson

Christian

--
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." -John Morley

    /"\
    / \