Subject: Re: OT: Single ended disks in Onyx system?
To: <>
From: Ethan <telmnstr@757.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 05/08/2003 16:35:56
> Hi!
> Sorry about this question being OT, but since I was on this list anyway
> I thought there may be someone here who knows the answer.
> I just got an SGI Onyx RE2 system and the system disk was a bit
> small for IRIX 6.5 (NetBSD not supported, right?). The problem
> is that the disk seems to be differential and my question is:
> May I stick an "normal" single ended disk in that drive sled without
> problems, or will there be flames and smoke?
> Regards
> /Christian Johansson

The base scsi chain is normally single ended, and the 2ndary one is often
differential. On the IO4 card, there are these small adaptors that plug
into the board (that in turn provide the scsi connection) that make the
scsi channel either SE or diff. One is green (SE I believe) and the other
is red (Diff).

Most desksides come with a SE chain for the SCSI cdrom.

Also, the pull out sleds have two connectors (and maybe some jumpers). In
base systems one is often SE and the other Diff. But check it before you
wreck it.

				-- Ethan