Subject: Re: LWP'ifying compat_irix
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/22/2003 19:35:18
> I've commited all but irix_prctl.c as I'm sure what I did there was not
> correct.

Well you did some part of the work, so commit it. If it builds it's
okay. I'll clean it up as soon as I'll have some time to do it.

> It seems to me that we would want to move to the model of using LWP's for
> IRIX share groups as that would simplify a lot of the code (for example,
> all the vm-syncing code, we already have a per-process LWP list, maybe
> even LWP state handling to do the block/unblock goo).  On the other hand,
> if we ever expect (and I don't know enough about the IRIX sproc() inter-
> face to know if this is a reasonable expectation or not) to *not* share
> vmspace, fd tables, doing this via LWP's will probably make that harder.

Depending on sproc options, you can share VM space or not. When we do
not share VM space, no doubt, we should not use lwp. The question
remains open for share groups where VM space is shared.

The big problem is that in IRIX, share group members share all the VM
*but* some pages. There is always at least one page (called the PRDA)
which is private to each share group member. It seems to me that this
makes the use of lwp impossible.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
How the BSA is pushing to make computer programs patentable in Europe: