Subject: Re: optimizing kernel for R5000
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Salvador =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fandi=F1o?= <sfandino@yahoo.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/19/2002 13:46:28
Hi,

> I'm interested in knowing whether the tuning can yield better performance
> at runtime.  Most of "extented instructions" in recent MIPS processors are
> so-called "multimedia extention" which only makes senses for hand-coded
> programs of particular algorithms like FFT or geometry transformation.
> On the other hand, GCC might provide more efficient instruction scheduling
> which matchs to R5000 pipeline.   Real improvement would be to make
> N32 happen, of course.

so, has been there any effort to make NetBSD work with the N32 abi?

I have seen that there is a MIPS64 option but I guest that it's only to
add support for MIPS64 core and still 32bits, isn't it?

I will run some benchmarks to compare kernels compiled with and without
R5000 optimizations and post them back.

Bye,

   - Salva